New Generations Initiative
Through its New Generations Initiative, the La Porte County Symphony Orchestra is laying the groundwork for future orchestras and audiences.
Participation, Performance, Perpetuation
- The award-winning Drayton Family Children’s Education Concerts, offered each fall, is a fun, interactive, and age-appropriate event for fourth through sixth grade students. The LCSO is working to broaden the concerts to include every child in the region and to eliminate all cost barriers.
- Drew’s Gift of Music, a Plymouth, Indiana-based non-profit founded by Deb Johnson in memory of her son, accepts donations of used instruments, repairs those instruments, and places them in the hands of students who could not otherwise afford an instrument. LCSO seeks to strengthen its partnership with Drew’s Gift by reaching more qualifying students in the area. In addition, the LCSO is exploring opportunities to provide these deserving students with lessons and more opportunities to perform.
- LCSO’s Student Apprentice Program allows high school musicians to audition for the opportunity to rehearse and perform side-by-side with LCSO musicians.
- The LCSO plans to further its support of young musicians by offering an annual performance-based concerto competition.
- The LCSO pledges to strengthen its partnership with other community organizations to connect families and young children to music, art, and literature through special events.